The Carnegie Corporation of New York announced on Tuesday that seven college presidents were each the recipient of a $500,000 Academic Leadership Award to support academic initiatives on their campuses.
Carnegie recognized the presidents for their “excellence in undergraduate education, the liberal arts, equal opportunity, the development of major interdisciplinary programs, international engagement, and the promotion of strong ties between their institutions and their local communities,” according to a news release from the corporation.
Joseph E. Aoun, president of Northeastern University and one of the recipients, said that he would match the $500,000 with his own personal funds, The Boston Globe reported.
The presidents and their institutions are as follows:
- Joseph E. Aoun: Northeastern University
- Mark P. Becker: Georgia State University
- John J. DeGioia: Georgetown University
- Nariman Farvardin: Stevens Institute of Technology
- Maria Klawe: Harvey Mudd College
- DeRionne Pollard: Montgomery College
- Barbara R. Snyder: Case Western Reserve University