About the University
Auburn University today is a comprehensive land, sea and space grant institution – among the few that hold that distinction – occupying more than 1,840 acres and helping fulfill the dreams of nearly 27,000 students. The University consists of 13 colleges with more than 140 majors from which students can choose.
Auburn University has developed into one of the largest universities in the South, remaining in the educational forefront with its traditional blend of arts and applied science and changing with the needs of today while living with a respect for the traditions and spirit that are Auburn.
The Auburn Tigers compete at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics as a charter member of the Southeastern Conference. Auburn fields 19 varsity teams with approximately 500 student-athletes supported by more than 225 full-time staff.
College sports fans would be hard-pressed to find a program more steeped in tradition than Auburn. Since the University first fielded a football team in 1892, the legends associated with the Tigers have passed down through generations of fans. The Auburn Family throughout Alabama, across the nation and around the world rallies to the battle cry "War Eagle!"
Auburn University seeks an experienced leader to direct the management, planning and organization of the University's NCAA Division I Intercollegiate Athletics program. Candidates should possess a strong commitment to the Student Athletes’ wellbeing, academic and athletic success. Candidates must have a proven track record of successful leadership, management and fundraising in athletics administration or a related area.
This position supervises professional, support and technical departmental staff including, but not limited to: budgeting and financial operations, strategic planning, fundraising, marketing, communications, media, contractual negotiations, sports medicine, compliance, and all other duties assigned by the University President. The Director of Athletics reports directly to the University President and serves on the President’s Cabinet.
- Plans, directs and develops staff for all on-going athletic programs and administration within the Athletics Department.
- Manages administrative team and coaching staff, including recruitment and hiring of qualified personnel, evaluation of staff, evaluation of coaching performance and professional development.
- Ensures that all intercollegiate athletic programs are compliant with NCAA, Conference and University regulations.
- Ensures adherence to academic standards, recruiting and eligibility for both the Prospective Student Athletes and current student-athletes.
- Ensures intercollegiate athletic programs are conducted in a manner that emphasizes excellence in athletics, student athlete care and safety.
- Oversees all athletics facility management, maintenance and utilization for events.
- Responsibilities include scheduling, contract negotiations, employment, publicity, ticket sales, and operations of all game day activities
- Develops long-term strategic plans to ensure that vision, mission and goals are incorporated in all areas of the Athletics Department.
- Maintains gender equity, affirmative action and Title IX goals.
- Oversees budgets, contracts and relations of sports programs including but not limited to equipment and apparel, communications, media, facilities and all related areas.
- Manages and participates in fundraising goals and activities.
- Exercises sound business habits and manages all budgets.
- Assumes leadership roles in the University, community, conference and NCAA committees.
- Exercises sound judgement and urgency when dealing with compliance, legal, NCAA and SEC matters.
- Represents the University using highest ethical standards, and develops positive relations with all constituents throughout the University, including staff, students, student athletes, faculty, media, and alumni.
- Works collaboratively with senior University administration and other University divisions.
- Serves as the face of Auburn University Athletics at internal, community and national events.
- Four Year Degree and six years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage successful and diverse athletics departments and/or organizations.
- Managed these positions in full compliance with NCAA regulations or related professional regulations.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Personal and professional integrity
- Master’s Degree and a minimum of eight years relevant experience.
- Experience with intercollegiate athletics leadership and management
- Experience as a student athlete
- Experience in an autonomous structured conference
Auburn University invites applications and nominations or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Applications must include a cover letter, resume and professional references. For full consideration, materials should be submitted via Parker Executive Search’s website. Confidential review of application materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. For additional information, please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
Hayden Garrett, Associate
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2900
Atlanta, GA 30328
770-804-1996 x. 122
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.