Western Michigan University seeks nominations and applications for the position of Dean for the Haworth College of Business.
About the University
Western Michigan University is a national research university located in Kalamazoo and enrolling nearly 24,000 students from across the United States and 100 countries. Founded in 1903, it is a learner-centered, discovery-driven and globally engaged public university that stands out among America’s more than 4,600 higher education institutions. The University offers 147 bachelor’s, 73 master’s and 30 doctoral programs, along with one program leading to the specialist degree and several others that lead to graduate-level certificates. These programs are offered through seven degree-granting colleges: Arts and Sciences, Aviation, Education and Human Development, Engineering and Applied Sciences, Fine Arts, Haworth College of Business, and Health and Human Services. The Carnegie Foundation classifies WMU in its "Doctoral Universities: Higher Research Activity" category and includes it among the 157 public institutions in the top two tiers of research universities. Through formal affiliation, the University has recently added two private professional schools to its academic family--the Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine and the Western Michigan University Thomas Cooley Law School.
With a population of more than 325,000, the Kalamazoo metropolitan area is large enough to support all the amenities and entertainment found in larger cities; and yet, you can be in the heart of farm country in 20 minutes, and Kalamazoo supports a thriving farmers market downtown May through November. Kalamazoo is midway between Chicago and Detroit on I-94 and offers commercial transportation by train, bus, and major airline at the Kalamazoo Battle Creek International Airport. According to a 2011 national study that looked at relative affordability, housing and employment opportunities, Kalamazoo was named one of the 25 best cities in the country for young college graduates. It is also the home of the Kalamazoo Promise that guarantees college tuition to graduates of the Kalamazoo Public Schools—the largest program of its kind anywhere.
About the College
Western Michigan University's Haworth College of Business, one of the largest schools of business in the United States, is the academic home to nearly 4,000 undergraduate students majoring in 16 specialized areas of business. An additional 500 graduate students study business administration and accountancy.
The Haworth College of Business is among an elite group of fewer than 5 percent of business schools worldwide that are accredited at both the undergraduate and graduate levels by the AACSB International—The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. It is among a select 1 percent of business schools worldwide that have additional specialized AACSB accreditation for their accountancy programs.
About the Position
The dean serves as a senior administrative officer who reports directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and is responsible for the academic, programmatic, administrative, and fiscal leadership of the Haworth College of Business at Western Michigan University.
- Chief academic and executive officer for the Haworth College of Business.
- Actively engages in fundraising and development activities to support the vision and mission of the College.
- Oversees assessment and AACSB International accreditation experience.
- Responsible for overseeing global engagement, research, undergraduate and graduate education and success; faculty, staff and student development; grants and other external funding.
- Responsible for academic and strategic planning for the College and enhancing its image and brand.
- Works with faculty to provide support for undergraduate and graduate curricular improvement.
- Earned doctorate in a business or business-related discipline from an accredited institution.
- Record of excellence in teaching, scholarship and research that warrants appointment as a tenured full professor.
- Record of administrative experience in a university or college setting, including management of budgets, personnel, and curriculum, as well as experience with the accreditation process.
- Strong commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion.
- Earned doctorate in a business or business-related discipline from an AACSB International accredited institution and experience with AACSB International accreditation.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate stakeholders and to develop and engage in collaborative relationships.
- Demonstrated record of external development activities resulting in major gifts.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in shared governance.
- Proven record of significant fundraising and major gift acquisition that will allow the College to reach its goals and objectives.
- Ability to foster partnerships and programs to advance the College’s and University’s goals.
- Demonstrated ability to enhance brand management in business or higher education.
- Strong communication skills.
- High energy coupled with enthusiastic leadership abilities.
- Broad understanding of the direction of business education and research and the ability to articulate the College’s vision that positions the College as a successful enterprise.
- Corporate or consultancy experience with the private business sector.
Nomination and Application Process
Parker Executive Search is assisting WMU in the search for the dean. The Search Committee invites letters of nomination, applications (letter of interest, full resume/CV, and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to August 1, 2017. Please visit www.wmich.edu/hr/jobs for detailed information and application procedures. For a complete position description, please visit the Current Opportunities page at www.parkersearch.com. Please send materials to the following:
WMU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and all other qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.