About Colgate University
Colgate is a distinctive, leading American university known for its intellectual rigor, world-class professors, campus of stunning beauty, and alumni famously loyal to their alma mater. Founded in 1819, the highly selective, private liberal arts college has a diverse undergraduate enrollment of approximately 3,000 students and with over 330 full time faculty.
Colgate is consistently ranked as one of the leading colleges and universities in the nation. Recently applications to the university have increased to over 20,000 per year, with an admissions rate of 12%.
Colgate’s mission is to provide a demanding, expansive educational experience to a select group of diverse, talented, intellectually sophisticated students who are capable of challenging themselves, their peers, and their faculty in a setting that brings together living and learning. The purpose of the university is to develop wise and thoughtful critical thinkers and perceptive leaders by challenging young scholars to fulfill their potential through residence in a community that values intellectual rigor and respects the complexity of human understanding.
Located in the charming village of Hamilton, NY, the university has a strong tradition of excellence in its academic and athletic programs and a sustained commitment to a diverse administration, faculty, staff and students.
About the Division of Physical Education, Recreation, and Athletics (PERA)
Colgate’s varsity athletic program, with 25 teams, rests within the University’s Division of Physical Education, Recreation, and Athletics (“PERA”). PERA supports students' development through a variety of innovative programs while sustaining Colgate's rich, competitive athletic tradition. The goals of the Division's programs are to provide intense competitive challenges for the athletically-motivated student population and promote a commitment to life-long health and well-being; to support social and recreational interactions; and to offer students the opportunity to engage in the community, on local and national level. These goals are achieved through NCAA Division I athletic participation and a wide range of club, recreational and educational opportunities designed to stimulate self-awareness, dedication, social responsibility and personal growth.
The university is a member of NCAA Division I-FCS and the Patriot League for all sports except for men’s and women’s ice hockey, which belong to ECAC Hockey. Colgate Athletics boasts a long tradition of excellence in Division I that inspires its student-athletes to high achievement on and off the playing fields. Division I athletics has been a strong and important part of the University, energizing the campus, allowing the University to achieve national exposure, and connecting alumni back to their alma mater. Colgate is committed to its Division I program and achieving excellence in its athletics program.
The Vice President and Director of Athletics reports directly to the University President, is a member of the President’s Cabinet, and serves as an academic division director within the Dean’s Advisory Council. The Vice President and Director of Athletics oversees 12 men’s and 13 women’s NCAA Division I varsity sports, as well as club sports, intramural and recreational programs, the outdoor education program, and a physical education program required for all students.
The Vice President and Director of Athletics will provide a clear vision of the role and mission of athletics at a highly selective, residential liberal arts institution, and superior leadership and management that will achieve excellence across the Division’s varied activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintaining Colgate’s traditional commitments to academic and athletic excellence at the Division I level; furthering an academic and athletic culture that fully supports and serves the student-athlete, including high academic achievement, leadership skills, and full participation in all aspects of university life; providing athletic and recreational opportunities to students with varying interests and skills.
- Possess high political acumen with the ability to navigate and manage the evolving landscape of collegiate athletics and the role it plays within higher education to include, but not limited to: new legislation, the monetization of sports, regulatory industries, state and federal mandates, and digital media streaming and T.V. revenue.
- Executing on the long-term strategic plan for the Athletics Department that will include academic and athletic achievement, capital expansion, staffing, facilities, fundraising and community outreach.
- Strengthening all sports programs to be competitive at the championship level while ensuring an exceptional academic and overall experience for each student-athlete.
- Identifying and cultivating sources of major gifts and sponsorships for Colgate Athletics.
- Passionately representing Colgate Athletics and engaging effectively with students, coaches, faculty, administrators, staff, alumni, and parents, the Hamilton community, Patriot League, ECAC Hockey, and NCAA, as well as with the media and the public at large.
- Organizing and managing the department effectively, providing for full compliance with all applicable NCAA, Patriot League, ECAC, and Title IX rules and regulations, developing and managing budgets, and overseeing and improving facilities in a fiscally responsible manner that maximizes impact.
- Providing the support, mentoring, and institutional environment that are necessary to attract, develop and retain a team of diverse and successful coaches and staff.
- Appreciating and supporting the unique mix of coaching, teaching and student development responsibilities of the members of the department staff.
- Developing strong and authentic relationships with Colgate alumni, parents, and friends of the program.
- Integrating University-wide initiatives within the PERA Division, including Colgate's Third Century Plan, DEI efforts, and our commitment to the Liberal Arts Core Curriculum.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- A demonstrated record of leadership and measurable success in athletic or university administration.
- Proven commitment to the student-athlete experience, student well-being and academic achievement.
- An ability to implement a strategic vision for the future of Colgate Athletics.
- Strong ability to communicate across various constituencies at a university; excellent interpersonal skills and high level of emotional intelligence.
- Committed to a division culture that embraces diversity, gender equity, and equal opportunity as a part of a university committed to these ends.
- Demonstrated understanding of fundraising, marketing, branding, and promoting the intercollegiate athletics program within the university and larger community.
Colgate University invites nominations and applications or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Applications must include a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, and list of references. For full consideration, application materials should be submitted to Parker Executive Search’s website by January 31st, 2023. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made.
For additional information, please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
DeLaina Jordan, Principal
Tori Williams, Executive Recruiting Coordinator
Parker Executive Search
770-804-1996 ext. 116 | 770-804-1996 ext. 119
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply