About Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi (TAMU-CC) is a vibrant, relatively young, doctoral-granting University and Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI). With over 11,000 students from 47 states and 54 foreign nations and 1,269 faculty and staff, it combines a heritage of teaching excellence with innovation in research and creative activity, as well as community engagement.
TAMU-CC possesses the key elements to support its move to the next level among its peers as a major Hispanic-serving research university and is focused on a bold agenda for developing recognized programs in areas important to the region and nation. To achieve this goal, the University has started to strengthen and grow its infrastructure to support existing and promising new programs. Services and operations dedicated to student recruitment, retention and welfare will be expanded to meet increased student demands and enhance the educational experience for all.
TAMU-CC has a beautiful main campus located on a coastal island of 240 acres surrounded by the waters of the Corpus Christi and Oso bays – the only university located on its own island. TAMU-CC was ranked first on Best College Reviews’ list of “50 Best Colleges by the Sea”. Just eight miles from downtown, the modern, attractive, and state-of-the-art classroom buildings and support facilities enhance Corpus Christi’s natural setting. With a population of over 350,000, Corpus Christi is the largest Texas city south of San Antonio, as well as a coastal city, making TAMU-CC highly attractive to prospective students from throughout the region and beyond.
As a member of the Southland Conference, the TAMU-CC athletic department is committed to becoming a program nationally recognized for its success in college athletics, both on the fields and courts, as well as in the classroom. Striving to become the league’s consistent representative in NCAA Post Season Tournaments, the department continues to grow and improve in all aspects of the department and its sports programs. Sponsoring 16 NCAA, Division I athletic programs, TAMU-CC is primed to become one of the top athletic departments in the state of Texas, as well as the country.
TAMU-CC seeks a self-motivated, driven, forward thinking and experienced leader to direct a championship level athletic department. The Director of Athletics is responsible for the athletic budget, personnel, strategic planning, fund-raising, marketing, media contract negotiations, sports facilities and the overall management of the athletic programs. Successful candidates will promote a program of academic and competitive success built upon a foundation of integrity that reflects core institutional values. The Director of Athletics reports to the President of the University and is a member of the President’s Senior Leadership Team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrate significant experience in strategic and financial planning, as well as organizational development and personnel management; strong analytic, strategic, communications, and interpersonal skills to bring to the setting of priorities, allocation of resources, and making of difficult decisions.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to increase the student and community fanbase.
- Lead the development of Athletics fundraising goals and work in close coordination with Institutional Advancement to develop fundraising strategies to meet the strategic priorities. Meet with donors and prospective donors as part of on-going fundraising activities.
- Manage Athletics related capital projects, to include the planning and budgeting of those projects.
- Work to sustain a department that shares the university’s commitment to a culture of openness and inclusion that values diversity in people and ideas.
- Embody a record of fostering excellence in student-athlete development; the ability to foster collaboration and productive partnerships with a broad range of constituencies, both within and outside the institution.
- Oversee the administration of the intercollegiate athletics program while maintaining accountability for its design, operation and evaluation; ensure compliance with institutional, Southland Conference and NCAA guidelines and requirements, as well as System, state and federal regulations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and communications with faculty, administrators, staff, student athletes, student body, student government association, alumni, friends, booster clubs, and the local community regarding TAMU-CC Athletics.
- Provide visionary leadership and role modeling for sustaining a culture of transparency, professionalism, integrity and respect at all levels.
- Plan and oversee efforts of the department to encourage and support the academic success of student-athletes, recognizing that student-athletes must find a balance between academic success and athletic endeavors.
- Encourage the professional development of the administrative and coaching staffs, promote their accomplishments, and perpetuate a culture of positive morale and effective interdepartmental relationships.
- Be a positive presence in the community among individuals and corporations via participation in both internal and external events, various media activities; Coordinate with Marketing and Communications on marketing and branding initiatives and be an advocate for a unified message that will increase the brand awareness and recognition of TAMU-CC Athletics throughout the region and on a national stage.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Leads with the highest ethical and moral standards.
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated commitment to a program of academic and athletic excellence.
- Demonstrated experience in donor development and fundraising.
- Outstanding communication with both internal and external audiences.
- Proven ability to mentor coaches and staff.
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience with comparable size program and infrastructure.
- Ability and desire to successfully grow current program on all levels, especially reputation and functioning, to take A&M-Corpus Christi to its next stage of excellence.
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi invites letters of nomination, applications, or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. For full consideration, application materials should be submitted at Parker Executive Search’s website by November 21, 2022. For additional information please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
Grant Higgison, Principal
Parker Executive Search
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
770-804-1996 ext. 116 | 770-804-1996 ext. 118
The Texas A&M University System is dedicated to the provision of discrimination-free workplaces and learning environments within its components. It has adopted a proactive approach to prevent discrimination and sexual harassment through training and other programs. It is also committed to make its workplaces, campuses, and services accessible to all, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.